Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Is Coffee Good For Me???

Did you know that your morning cup of joe actually has more benefits than an early morning pick me up? I often try to get in a quick run once the kids get home from school and if supper is cooking and not needing my attention. So here I was, on my treadmill, watching Rachel Ray when I hear that coffee actually contains antioxidants, and that most Americans (and I am assuming Canadians) actually receive the majority of their antioxidants from coffee (not the best source, but the most consumed).

So this peaked my curiosity, what other health benefits are their to drinking your morning joe? Here is what I found out:

- Drinking one or two cups of coffee a day increases your sense of well-being and happiness due to the dopamine found in coffee (which also contributes to coffee being so adictive, but whatever, nothing is perfect!).

- Sudies have found that coffee may decrease your chances of getting some diseases such as Parkinson’s Disease, colon cancer and Type 2 diabetes (although it is not benificail to people who already have diabetes).

- Coffee may make you less likely to die from heart disease, they think that it may have something to do with coffee’s anti-inflammatory effects.

- Coffee helps with your short term memory and can help preven long term memory loss and cognitive decline.

- Roasted coffee has some antibacterial properties – therefore, it may help fight cavities (without all the sugar that is!!)

So there you go! Who knew that my morning coffee was actually good for me??? I am going to really enjoy my coffee in the morning!

Christine

No comments:

Post a Comment