Monday, July 13, 2009

Weekly Meal Plan

In the winter I meal plan by the month, but in the summer, with our days and weeks constantly changing, I find it easier to meal plan by the week. So here is what my family will be eating this week.

Monday – BBQ Beef, Spicy potato oven fries and Coleslaw

Tuesday – Spicy buffalo drumsticks with cut carrot and celery sticks and Mediterranean inspired bean salad

We love spicy chicken wings, but chicken wings are fairly expensive, so I altered a recipe that I found to use chicken drumsticks instead. Since this is a very fiery dish, the vegetable sticks and the bean salad have a cooling effect.

Spicy Buffalo Drumsticks:

3 – 4 lbs Chicken drumsticks
½ tsp Cayenne pepper
1/3 cup Tabasco sauce
2 tbsp Butter, melted
2 tsp Cider vinegar

Marinade chicken overnight (or for at least 30 minutes). Shake off excess marinade and either bake at 375 F or bbq over medium heat, brushing meat frequently with marinade.

(Note – for a less spicy flavor omit the cayenne pepper and reduce Tabasco sauce to ¼ cup)

Wednesday – Pork chops, Baked potatoes and Broccoli salad

Thursday – Chicken burgers (made with chicken thighs), Spinach salad

Friday – Vegetarian Burritos

Saturday – Salad with hard boiled eggs and tuna

Sunday – Leftovers and whatever you can make for yourself

Lunch – Macaroni and tuna salad (made on Monday for the week) and leftovers

My sister made this for a picnic once and my kids loved it. It is so easy, no measuring, just pour and mix to taste.

Macaroni Tuna Salad

Cooked macaroni noodles
Canned tuna
Onions, chopped (any onion you like – white, green, purple)
Vegetables, chopped (any you have on hand – peppers, peas, celery)
Mayonnaise
Favorite seasoning blend (we use steak spice)

Mix it all together to your macaroni, tuna and veggies are well coated in the mayonnaise. Chill for at least 6 hours.

Breakfast - Yogurt, granola, fruit, toast, eggs and cereal

One of my goals this summer is to get my grocery bill down, while not sacrificing produce or dairy. Another goal is to add more beans and lentils into my families diet. What are some of the things you are working on right now when it comes to meal planning?

For more meal planning ideas see Menu Plan Monday.

Have a blessed Monday,
Christine

1 comment:

  1. My partner and I absolutely love your blog and find most of
    your post's to be what precisely I'm looking for.
    can you offer guest writers to write content in
    your case? I wouldn't mind composing a post or elaborating on a few of the subjects you write regarding here. Again, awesome web site!

    Here is my web blog; diet plans that work

    ReplyDelete