Friday, July 17, 2009

Using up Leftovers


One of the ways that I try and stretch my grocery dollars is to using up my leftovers. There are some times when the teenage boys eat every last scrap of food at dinner, but often we have leftovers.
.
Last night we had bean salad for dinner and since I made a large portion, I was expecting leftovers. Roll-ups are a great way to use up leftovers - just toss in whatever you have and roll it up! No matter what you stick in there it normally turns out delicious! Here is what I made my boys for a mid-night snack (literaly, it was mid-night, but we had been out at the local fair):

Leftover Roll-Ups

Sour cream
Grated cheese
Leftover bean salad
Leftover meat in the fridge
Leftover vegetables you have in the fridge

Load up what you want on your tortilla and wrap it up. We had some leftover corn and tuna that the boys tossed on theirs as well. Frugal, nutritious and will fill up hungry boys (and hungry husbands - I tossed two in his lunch for today as well).
.
For more frugal tips check out Frugal Fridays!

Have a happy weekend!

Christine

3 comments:

  1. Hi Christine,
    I have been working on cutting down our waste too. I find uses for everything . I love reading about your wraps.
    Hugs,
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea! Just about anything lends itself to a wrap I guess.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have enjoyed snooping around your blog, lol! I, too, love the Lord, homeschool, and love organization and frugality as well.

    Now that I think about it, I don't know that you homeschool. I guess I thought I read it somewhere. Anyway, I will have to come back when I have more time.

    I know what you mean about teens and leftovers. My boys are not huge eaters but they've been known to pack it away at times, lol!

    My 20 year old drinks alot of milk, and my 16 year old eats alot of carrots, so I always try to keep those in stock.

    We aren't huge bean eaters yet but we're working on it. I just recently started us on lentils and brown rice (to save money but also because they're healthy) and my family loved the lentil/brown rice tacos, so I think I'll incorporate more beans into our diet as well.

    Sorry, writing a book here! Loved your blog and I'll be back.

    ~ Nan

    ReplyDelete