Saturday, April 18, 2009

Country Style Chicken Pot Pie

My boys love casseroles of all types, and I love the convenience of just tossing something in the oven for them - especially if I will be gone and want to ensure that in their desperation for food they do not order out.

So here is one of my boys favorites. You do not have to use puff pastry, you can use a pie crust on top (often what I do) or even top it with biscuit dough (although your cooking times may vary).

2 - 3 cups left over chicken or turkey, cut into bit size pieces

½ cup diced onions
½ cup diced celery
1 can mushrooms, drained (optional)
1 cup frozen mixed veggies
1 can mushroom soup (any cream soup will do)
½ soup can milk
2 tbsp cornstarch
1 tbsp thyme, divided in half (half in dish, half for pastry)
1 tsp each salt/pepper
½ pkg. (397g) frozen puff pastry, thawed

Put chicken and veggies into an 8” baking dish. Mix soup, milk, and spices in bowl and pour over chicken and veggies, stir to coat.

Cut pastry in half to form two small pieces. On slightly floured surface roll each piece of dough into a 10” square (fine if edges are uneven). Brush one square with egg and sprinkle thyme, put other square over top of spiced dough.

Roll dough onto roller and place over baking dish, tucking in edges and pressing onto side of dish. Pierce middle of pastry with a knife to allow steam to escape. Lightly brush top with egg.

Bake at 400F for 35 - 45 minutes, let stand for 15 minutes before serving (will thicken as it sits).

For other Chicken Pot Pie recipes:

Recipeasy

Bobbie

2 comments:

  1. Chicken pot pie is one of my favorite meals!!..i don't get to make it often enough as there is never enough cooked chicken left over around here...lol!
    But this recipe is too easy to pass on...so this week...chicken pot pie will be part of one of our meals..

    Thanks for sharing

    Nadine

    ReplyDelete
  2. I PLAN for leftovers when I know I want to make this dish...I will cook more chicken then we normally will eat then put aside what I need right away so the kiddies and hubby don't get into it :)

    ReplyDelete